The Collapsing premises of Charles L. Reis and Co., Fancy goods warehouse No. 10 & 11 Sackville St. and the Corner of Abbey Street next to the Dublin Bread Company (the DBC) after the 1916 Rising. The ruins in between the two buildings are No9. E.R. Mooney, Jewler. No.8 Grand Hotel and Restaurant, and Frank R Gallagher Cigar Merchant. The damage was caused by the British Gun Boat “The Helga” brought up the Liffey to bombard this area of Dublin, the GPO Garrison and Headquarters of P.H. Pearse and the Volunteers. The DBC later became an acronym for Death Before Conscription as the British Government passed Conscription into Law in Ireland for British Army recruits for WW1 in 1918 igniting the Nation into the War of Independence.
Limited Edition High Quality image from the Original glass plate courtesy of (with Reproduction permission) the National Library of Ireland.
Size 30cm x 20cm (12” x 8”)