A view over O’Connell Bridge and Sackville Street 1916, just after the Rising. Showing the damaged Kelly’s Fort, Nelson’s Pillar, the Imperial Hotel, the Dublin Bread Company, and the destruction of Eden Quay by the British Gun Boat “The Helga”. The Helga was brought up the Liffey to bombard this area of Dublin the GPO Garrison the Headquarters of P.H . Pearse and the Volunteers.
Dublin’s citizens are back out on the streets inspecting the carnage that was created in the week long Rebellion. Access to Sackville Street and the area around the GPO is restricted by a row of Dublin Metropolitan Police (The DMP), and armed British soldiers can be seen on Duty on O’Connell Bridge and mingling with the crowds.
High Quality image from the Original glass plate courtesy of (with Reproduction permission) the National Library of Ireland
Size 30cm x 20cm (12” x 8”)